Join us in Australia for a Barista Discipleship Training School (DTS)!
Do you view coffee as more than just a ‘caffeine fix’, but rather a craft that you want to use to bring people together? The Barista DTS Elective seeks to equip disciples of Jesus with a passion for coffee and hospitality, to use their skills and passions to see God’s Kingdom come as they serve others. This offers an opportunity for you to grow in the practical skills of making and serving coffee, as well as in building vision for using coffee as a craft to bring people together.
This 6-month course is a full-time, unique, live/learn community experience. It consists of two parts: lecture phase and outreach phase. The lecture phase will offer you a time of deep revelation as well as liberating personal application. Encounter God like never before as you hear from seasoned speakers who live out the principles they teach. The outreach phase will take you to places you have only dreamed about as you take the Gospel into the nations! Grow in confidence as you share your testimony from small to large groups in cross-cultural settings.
Example core curriculum topics include:
As part of the Barista Elective, you’ll join the Creative Theme. The Creative Theme in July joins the Music, Arts, Media and Barista electives in one DTS lecture phase. Each DTS will have a coordinator gathering students around that elective. This may come in forms such as small group activities, excursions, events, or guest speakers.
While you’ll have specific times for your DTS elective, this will not occur every week. It is important to see electives as a point of gathering similar individuals without taking priority over the core purpose of the DTS. However, we cannot guarantee that each DTS elective will have a major representation on the outreach phase. Our hope is to look for how we can incorporate the elective on outreach but factors outside our control such as culture, event coordination, and ministry contact preferences may affect what is possible.
An elective is defined by:
- Gathering similar individuals
- A leader with an affinity or passion for that elective (but not required)
- Low level, structured inclusion during lecture phase
- Outreach inclusion of the elective where culturally possible and appropriate
Example Barista Topics Covered:
- How coffee & hospitality can be used to create spaces for people to connect.
- Community development & justice within the coffee industry.
- Basic Coffee Service – introduction to espresso, filter-brew & milk-steaming techniques.
- Coffee production – process from farm to cup + origins of coffee & coffee tasting.